Sunday, December 27, 2015

MY 1980s IN RETROSPECT

1980 was a phenomenal year in my fledging attempts at self-employment. An entrepreneur should be like the Duracell Bunny. I staked my claim in West Brookfield after returning to my homeland with family in 1978. I found a Victorian home on the main highway, Route 9, with 14,000 cars a day going by and knew I would be a success. I offered 100 dozen of glass canning jars for a dollar a dozen and sold every last one! I went under the guise of BLAIR HOUSE ANTIQUES. it worked.

As I hustled in establishments of my enterprise silver dollars were trading for $4.00 each. I was game. The Hunt Brothers pumped up the speculation of the price of silver and I rode my rocket ship to the Moon! Hi Yo Silver.. Away. I hustled and I got results. On October 10, 1979 the price of silver hit $10.10 an ounce jumping from $6 the ounce.

A coin collection came up for auction and I was poised to strike as a buyer. I obtained a $20,000 note after hustling coins with my credit card. I earned my position and began to shell out money for silver like there was no tomorrow. It was an incredible experience earning and being careful to not being greedy. The best advice came from John Hirbour : "Move It."

My entire enterprise melded into success. All of antiquity presented itself at my doorway. I was earning my good reputation. And it was increasing fun... hustle but fun.. a passion for ambition and success. My made-up mind of success... optimism and yes, luck, saw my enterprise growing and yes, my family business. My sons, Ben and Josh were only 10 and 8 and learned the world of business which, today, sees my Super Stars working hard for The Hartford and The Principal. I am gratified as I look at them with extreme pride.

The antiques world has changed immensely with the Internet and E-Bay and the snipers of thee world. I don't know. Of all of antiquity, is it history? Our lifestyles...plastic...fancy cars and McMansions have eliminated much of humility in how some of us live. Been there.. done that. Technologies blow me away. Why? What will it be in the year 2525? But then we are faced with terrorists, crime and punishment. I know my life has changed as I strive for simplicity. Too much stuff.

A crystal ball may surprise us. Swipe this.. swipe that.. I am converting my lifestyle to CASH! I still think About-Uncirculated AU/55 Morgan silver dollars are attractive in price!

I won't bore you with my entire 1980's story but I will tell you... it was wonderful!














No comments:

Post a Comment