Sunday, December 27, 2015

MY CONNECTICUT SUNDAY

Having fun is half the battle; making new friends is the whipped cream of life we share. The Mark Twain House dazzles me even to this day. Admissions are moderate though the tour makes it all worth while .If you are an antique buff like me you have a deep special appreciation of antiquity.

Twains palace has only 19 rooms. His library is huge. There are 13 fireplaces gracing the mansion of the 1880s. His wife Olivia was wealthy as manifest in the extreme decorations and furniture. Coal heat was the heat of the day and some rooms were colder than others. I have lived in a Victorian home or two and drafts were commonplace. Mark Twain's collection of bound books is everywhere...maybe bigger than the Book Bear. Living in the extremes requires maids and servants an nannies. MT had three daughters.

The historic house is situated at 351 Farmington Eve. near the "Aetna Prison." It is manifest of the Gilded Age in America...c. 1870 - 1900. I will say it again, Mark Twain's House is in the extreme. Donald Trump would delight in living in Hartford. 'Big house... big expenses.' No thanks!

Next on my Sunday in Connecticut came the Vintage Radio & Communications Museum of CT. This is my kind of museum... from Juke Boxes to Teletype Machines...this museum has a plethora of tube sets, picture=tube sets and crank record players. I love it. By attending this museum of communications you zero-in on the way it was. As an auctioneer I found several old radios in my travels. Today it's a different ballgame. Agree?

I made a new friend at the VR & CM in Windsor. Bob is his name and an antique enthusiast. We were not short for words. I gave Bob my business cards...auctioneer & blogger. We are kindred spirits to it all and know life's drill. I also met Chris in the cafeteria at Twain.

Finally, fast food is killing us in the belly and in the wallet. I think I've had my last meal on The Pike. Over six bucks for a small shake and fries. we are OVERATING! Our foods are not properly digested As one expert recently said "it is a very complex process to lose weight." I am victorious in plugging away" diets are ongoing and continuing.

The day was murky.. the green grass grows and maybe snow on the way? I like Connecticut as it is where I declared my independence .. Dare to be something they say. If you don't know where you are going.. any road will do. As Yogi said..."take it!"










No comments:

Post a Comment