Sunday, November 10, 2019

ON BEING A VIETNAM VETERAN


 
Veterans Day each year gives me a reason to pause and reflect. Once a soldier, and having gone through all training from Basic to Advanced, I feel my one year, nine months and two days are indelible to my spirit!

The military is the absolutely the best training possible... in body, mind and spirit. You make friends, are called on to do a job, and see the world! You are tested initially so Uncle Sam matches you up with your IQ.  My GT score placed me in the top mental category and I was trained to take x-rays. Knowledge of human anatomy has bode well with me and for me all of these years.

Most of the time military get a chance to see the world. I trained at Fort Knox, Kentucky, Fort Sam Houston, Texas, and Fort Dix , New Jersey before traveling overseas. As a Medic I worked alongside all support personnel and learned much about laboratory, pharmacy, medical records, dental, etc. I took x-rays for five doctors and two dentists.

At Vung Tau, Vietnam. I befriended several Australians.. one of which remained a friend until his passing a couple of years ago. Rod Bryar was a musician and loved American History. We visited each other's home 20 years ago!

I am not shy about being a Vietnam Veteran. I wear my colors with pride.

Tomorrow I'll attend a veteran's breakfast at the WB Senior Center and commiserate with other veterans from town.

It is my pleasure of having served my Country!

ROBERT LOUIS POTVIN

No comments:

Post a Comment