Wednesday, November 27, 2019

ESTATE AUCTION REMINISCENSES

I always wanted to be an estate auctioneer from age 9! At age 39 I attended Missouri Auction School, Kansas City with family and grew in a profession that afforded me intellectual challenges a well as hard physical work. I became the impresario of taking full charge of orchestrating public auctions.. both for charity, businesses and family.

The liquidation of an estate takes from 4 to 6 weeks. Usually it begins with a written appraisal. This gives me a road map. Photography comes in as does researching of items.. preparing newspaper ads and lining up manpower for auction day. Clerks, cashiers, bid spotters and sometimes other auctioneers are called in to help. Directional signs are important.

In 1985 I purchased a green and white canvas tent along with say 50 chairs. An auction supply company provides all necessary forms. Sales slips, bidder cards numbered are a must for organization. Exact accounting is made by having  clerking sheets filled out with buyer number and amount paid.

In my career I began by calling auctions for fund raising. Then, eventually I earned a commission on items sold. I had a 10 day payout to allow checks to clear. I collected Mass. Sales Tax. Attending my auctions was fun.

The following is a partial list of auctions called:
  • Fabiola Brunel
  • King Estate
  • Mann Estate
  • Crooks Estate
  • Marion Varney Estates - Antique & real estate
  • Thompson Clock Auctions.
  • Wendemuth Estate
  • Whitney Estate  
  • And many, many more...
I was a foreclosure auction for 10 years for the North Brookfield Savings Bank and others. Some auctions were tape recorded of which I have today.

Times have changed and for those fleeting moments....it was my pleasure to work with Ben, Josh, Gram Rita and other family members and friends.

ROBERT LOUIS POTVIN

                                          

No comments:

Post a Comment