Tuesday, May 12, 2020

CAPE COD NATIONAL SEASHORE REMEMBERED -1964

Blood glucose 112

I have many lasting memories of my summer of 1964! I was a uniformed park ranger for the National Park Service working in Provincetown. I drove a Dodge Carry-All and patrolled the sand dunes and beaches. It was a unique experience.

The job was also a law enforcement officer and Special Officer for the Town of Provincetown. For a while I worked the night shift.

The secret to my obtaining this position was a hand-written letter I sent to Francis T. "Red" Lee of North Brookfield. Mr. Lee  gave the letter to Senator Ted Kennedy. What unfolded was a letter from the senator promising "I will do all for you in my behalf." The politics included my appointment by the Secretary of the Interior, Stuart L. Udall!

Government housing was in North Truro at Crapser Cottages. Both rangers and lifeguards live in this small colony. This accommodation backed up to our private beach. The sound of pounding surf is heard from the camp!

The social life was what to be expected for a 22 year old college student.. beer drinking and all!

I have returned to the CCNS many times over the years savoring the memories of 'The summer of my life!' Absolutely nothing  has changed in more than 50 years.

ROBERT LOUIS POTVIN


No comments:

Post a Comment