Tuesday, July 18, 2017

THE MONSOON OF MUDBALL IN STURBRIDGE

It was Chase's best game as a hitter and as a centerfielder. Everything Chase did seemed right. This Connie Mack League between Auburn was special, everything except the weather.




Warren/West Brookfield seemed poised. The game went back and forth. By the 6th inning our team had the lead. Then the crocodile rain drops began. We held our breath. The boys kept playing and saw Auburn tie it in the sixth inning. People got nervous as the monsoon began. The game went on to see a 6/6 tie but the mud puddles grew.






Fortunately I had returned my Nikon d-40 to my Honda along with my red, white and blue chair... a recent gift from Claire and Dick. Son Josh arrived with Evie and Maddie and the rains continued.. like the Monsoon I recall in Vietnam in 1967. What to do? The rotund umpire consulted with Coach Shepard and Auburn's chief along with the Sturbridge clientele selling hot dogs and bubble gum.  It became exasperating for all and the umbrellas went up and the heavens let loose. A torrential downpour of the highest order.




The tie was disheartening for us. A victorious out was called 'safe' by the umpire. We got drenched and a victory would have to wait for another day.. maybe.




The funny thing is, by the time I left Sturbridge into Brookfield there were dry roads, etc.no sign of rain.





Once again my late friend Atty. Jim Nolen said 'It's only a game." Yes, and my All Star grandson was the game's true star in my book. Everyone left in a flurry of mud...




To be continued.




Earlier in the day, in the heat and humidity I vacuumed my black Honda and power washed it to no avail.




In other news, Dwight Bramble, MD. from Ware, Mass passed at age 95. R.I.P. a good guy.



No comments:

Post a Comment