Tuesday, July 11, 2017

QUABOAG ON THE COMMON - WEST BROOKFIELD, MA

With the passing of my esteemed friend, North Brookfield's  Matt Benvenuti at age 94, I can only say of Matt is "You  were one in a million!"
Everybody liked Matt's ways. He was cheerful and optimistic. He was a U.S.Marine (Semper fi), part of the North Brookfield Fruit Company ( with the boss, Emo J. Benvenuti and brother Bill. The Fruit Store was an institution situated in the basement of the North Brookfield Town Hall where all of the philosophers met.. as in Clarence W. Wight, DMD!.


Matt's "second life" came as our mail man. He personalized my "long-distance life" both in Saint Louis and USARV ..South Vietnam. It wasn't just a letter.. but a warm Italian condolence. Before Matt was carrier Jim Gaffney and Bunk Hill!




In Matt's final years, the Quaboag Nursing Home was Matt's home. My visits to him were personal and his greeting was always "Bobby!"


Today was like banquet in memory of Matthew C.




Men and women from the North Brookfield Senior Center were recipients of a banquet luncheon of the highest order..(No Tri-Valley today!) LOL...


Today I sat with all of my "old girl friends" Sybil Sandman age 88, Thelma Quigley a nonagenarian, Ginger Camarda an octogenarian and yours truly a septuagenarian!  I have always enjoyed "old people" and today I am one!


I paid a special visit to Harold R. "Chess" Chesson of Gavitt Wire fame. I( said to Chess...you are a GOOD CITIZEN.. similar to our late friend, Matt Benvenuti.




But my deepest thoughts are in what Quaboag on the Common stands for. Succinctly put, my mother dubbed the workers "Angels of Mercy." There's a distinct element of compassion in all Quaboag workers. With over 100 employees a harmony exists. I know many young ladies starting out in life working at the nursing home.




And yes, I learned teacher John Bullard lives at "The Home" and would love to see or hear from former students.He's in a wheelchair!

L-R rear postal workers Jim Gaffney,Bull McCarthy, Bill Benvenuti, Bunk Hill George Murphy






Front: L Larry Cauter, Lenny Lemieux, Gaudette, RFD, Jim Short 
from 1953 photo!



My Home Town


R L. Potvin  Blogger


 NBHS



I think we all have to look into our hearts and souls as good citizens and reach out to all at Quaboag!




Sybil S., Betty B, Shirley W, Ginger C.






Ginny C. & Judy Ducasse








No comments:

Post a Comment