Wednesday, March 2, 2022

MY MOTHER, GRAM RITA POTVIN

In reviewing my hundreds of blog entries I came across one that touched my heart! " I am living long enough to see my children live to old age" said Gram. As a boy growing up my mother "ruled the roost."I was punished for bad behavior and loved unconditionally.My mother prepared my bath water every night and used to put my pajamas on the hot radiator... then I'd powder down with some Old Spice Talcum. Mother's cooking was basic and delicious. She would cook a smoked shoulder in boiling water with onions and potatos and turnip. Mustard and horseradish were part of the meal. Dad was a workingman.. a carpenter so Gram Rita knew she had to prepare meals with gusto. Mother prided herself in beng a homemaker.She took charge of the household.Father would turn over his entire pay for her to pay expenses. The mortgage payment with Ware Co-Operative was $33.33 a month!They bought our house in 1945 for $4,500 and had a mortgage burning in 1959. I never went without. and I wasn't spoiled. At age 10 I started earning money at the Brookfield Orchards and having a Sunday paper route. My mother taught me thrift. I had a Christmas Club for .50 a week. I was also taught how to run a Polular Home Club. Gram would drive me aroung to collect weekly payments.I also would wash and wax the kitchen floor on my hands and knees and mow the lawn, take in the clothes with sister Jan. Mother was one sharp cookie. She braided rugs, crocheted and had a ZEST for living. Mother was always there for her children,grandchildren and was a GIVER! Gram lived to be 91.. went to Australia and Rome and maintained 'smoking is a no-no!' ROBERT LOUIS POTVIN

No comments:

Post a Comment