Monday, July 11, 2022

MY AUCTIONEER FRIEND AND BROTHER HAS DIED!

Just received word from Doerun, Georgia, that Maurice Barfield has died of a stroke at age 77. My professional relationship began in Kansas City in August of 1981 while attending Missouri Auction School. Both Maurice and I attended the school for 2 weeks.There was a bonding of Ben & Josh while swimming in the swimming pool.Four years later while attending the Certified Auctioneer Institute at Bloomington, Indiana, we connected again.From then on we became closer. In time I recruited Maurice to come to Ware to help me in an estate auction.Then another and another! His wife Mary Helen came North. Our friendship grew when Maurice landed an estate of gold and silver coins and flew me to Georgia to arrange the collection for auction.I remained at the homestead and began learning about "mashing" the brakes of his John Deere 4440 tractor. Our friendship grew.He took me to Plains, GA, where we met Jimmy Carter's cousin! We went fishing and further enjoyed the Southern way of life. As my estate auctions grew Maurice came back to help me in a major estate in Clinton. We got major media coverage.I took him to New Hampshire where I bought him a new pair of boots.Over the years our friendship grew.I returned to Doerun and further saw him visit me in Titusville, FL. at my condo. Another time up here I took him to Rietta Flea Market.And another time he came up and showed me how to "plant a garden" on the Purdy Estate in N.B. In the ensuing years we'd call each other never letting our friendship waine Now I must replace my friendship with another but I feel there'll never be another Colonel.. How many dollars am I bid? RIP Maurice. ROBERT LOUIS POTVIN

No comments:

Post a Comment