Thursday, August 22, 2019

NORTH BROOKFIELD HIGH - MRS. MURPHY REMBERED

I first met Mrs. Anne Murphy in 1956 when I was in the eighth grade..." "And what do you want to be when you grow up, Bobby?" "A meteorologist" was my response. I think it blew her away!

I had Mrs. Murphy in my freshman and senior years at NBHS. Better yet I got to know her quite well in her old age. I even assisted her in finding a place to live. On March 7, 1991 Mrs. Murphy's story appeared in the New Leader. Here's a summary of my writing:

"MRS. MURPHY for English was a given"


"Born a posthumous child in 1904, Anna Gertrude Dorney faced an uphill climb from birth. Her mother was a seamstress at White's Overall Factory... Anne was raised, perhaps by three mothers.. Sadie & Estelle Cuddy"  Her teacher, Mrs. Vera Matthew suggested to he while in the fifth grade.." You are Anne!" Anna changed her name!

'Anne Dorney's future began to take shape. Her avid reading of Anne of Green Gables "revealed a young lady producing neighborhood plays!"  'Three years at Bridgewater State College earned Anne a degree."  The love of the arts grew as the young adult took her first post in education at New Britain, CT for an annual salary of $900!"

'Anne married Robert Joseph Carey also a NBHS alumni who went on to Holy Cross then Yale to become a physician. The newlyweds lived in New York City. Anne taught in Laurence, Long Island taking the train each day from Penn Station.'

"Tragedy struck the family as Dr. Carey contracted tuberculous while working at Ellis Island. He was confined to Worcester County Sanitorium for five years and died at age 37 leaving a young son, John, and a daughter, Sally, age 4.' The year was 1939.

Teacher friends helped guide Mrs. Murphy through difficult times.
She returned to NB and married George Murphy in 1944.(George Murphy was a postal worker.)

The Carey children went on to be high achievers.. John a physician and Sally a librarian. Sally was valedictorian at NBHS Class of 1952!

"I didn't give many A's" Mrs. Murphy once confided. Mrs. Murphy wanted to instill discipline and character. " Gum chewing cheapens you" And boy did she let me know of my chewing at my sister's graduation! Mrs. Murphy went 'on and on' mimicking me in class the next day.

The Leach-Murphy leadership at North Brookfield High reigned supreme and it was Mrs.





. Murphy who 'towed the rope!'

ROBERT LOUIS POTVIN





.

No comments:

Post a Comment