Thursday, August 8, 2019

A SURPRISE VISIT BY STEVE MAGNANTE

It was late in the day when a familiar face appeared at my front door: STEVE MAGNANTE.'How would you like to go to the Publick House in Sturbridge for dinner?' After some pleasantries we headed to Sturbridge.

Former West Brookfield resident, Patty Giddes was the hostess. I hadn't seen Patty in 35 years!

The Publick House was hopping with business. I chose to try their baked scallops and a cup of clam chowder and an O'Doul's Amber. Steve had their turkey dinner. My scallops were baked in butter and crumbs but didn't taste as good as HOWARD'S ! The chowder was okay.

Steve and I spoke about many things including his tenure at BARRETT-JACKSON auctions. Steve is the lead commentator at their car auctions.

Afterwards we drove to Steve's home in North Brookfield. He wanted me to appraise some antique chairs from his parent's estate on Wigwam Road, NB. He has a series of ladderback-type chairs and 2 corner cupboards. I didn't assign much value to what I saw.

Our time together was fun. It is interesting to see a local boy who is a celebrity in his own rite. Steve will be appearing with Wayne Carini and Mike Miller at THE BIG E in a month or so!



ROBERT LOUIS POTVIN

No comments:

Post a Comment