Saturday, September 30, 2017

THE OBITUARY OF PHILATELY 2017

Today's New York Times exclaims "In the internet age, philately ( stamp collecting) has lost its once-worldly charms." As an enthusiast of coins, stamps, clocks and watches since 1954 I disagree! So much of my happiness has come with my adulation and appreciation of these "little critters." Nothing is smaller yet miniature in the messages a stamp carries history, geography, sports the whole enchilada.




In my auctioneering years I delighted in finding rare postage in places that paid me thousands! I worked in the Customs House in St. Albans, VT to discover high denomination postage in wastebaskets. It was my find for free. Then at Mount Holyoke I discovered some real rare stuff for auction.


The kicker came with responses from Jackie O and GHWB in my creations. These unique pieces...Holy Cross Postcard and 2 JFK stamps revealed how basic a stamp is: a miniature work of art!




As Mail Clerk in Vietnam in Vung Tau I scored again in delivering the #834 Presidential Series Calvin Coolidge $5.00 postage. Today, I have a copy under glass on my desk. One year ago I bought a $100 stamp collection and am amazed the happiness gives me on a cold winter's night.


The new JFK stamp is an oversized winner. When I post an envelope I use the image of JFK as a reminder.




Finally, as a Windsor, CT Jaycee, I sponsored a hobby night and showed the making of the Moon Landing Stamp. This one stamp is emblematic of JFK's message of 'We Choose To Go To The Moon.' Stamps will never go away and deserve an epiphany to go with the latest Smart Phone! Stamps and postal history. It is a hobby and yes, hobbies are healthy!









No comments:

Post a Comment