Friday, September 22, 2017

GOING BACK TO VIETNAM IN 1998 FOR 9 DAYS

Vietnam - 11-16-98. The first time I was treated like a grunt; the second like a king.Air Vietnam flew us out of Hong Kong - the city of glitz and $ south to Ho Chi Minh City a place U was during the American War in 1967.


From Customs at TanSon Nhat Airfield the absence of military personnel and planes as my first observation of difference. The terminal was bleak compared to Hong Kong and the customs officer seemed as stern as Hitler. I presented my Passport and knew his authority was omnipotent. I forgot to write  in my passport number on the Customs form.


My flight from the terminal was quick and as expected a surge  of taxi hustlers approached me for a fare. I said "How Much"? $15..I said $10 . He said $12  I said $$10 and he took it.


The New World Hotel was classy. A sealed  envelope addressed to Mr. Robert Potvin. I was to live in luxury for more than a week!


I recruited a cyclo driver named ANH. Each day Anh would peddle me aroung Saigon to the sights of Old Saigon. Military Remnants Museum, US Aircraft, the Saigon Cathedral and more gave me great perspectives of 1998.


Saigon was mine! I enjoyed meeting ANH's family and friends. I also took the Hydrofoil to Vung Tau and the Sammy Hotel! It just wasn't the same as in 1967!


Returning to Vietnam as a civilian gave me great perspective to this day!



No comments:

Post a Comment