Sunday, October 22, 2023

A LASTING MEMORY OF MY VIETNAM SERVICE

 My time as a soldier was 1 year 9 month and 2 days. As a draftee I rolled the dice and taking my chances.I came within 2 days of being a Marine! My friends all were objecting me being a "jar head" so I took my chances. I was almost age 24 and had a job with Aetna. Basic training was in Fort Knox, Kentucky. This assignment had me running the mile and doing push-ups. Next it was to Fort Sam Houston Texas where I was trained to learn human anatomy and to be an x-ray technician.Next to Fort Dix for OJT onto Vietnam.  I was "easy" taking my assignment in stride. My job was at the 345th Dispensary serving 5 doctors and 2 dentists. The x-ray lab was air-conditioned.The visiting Australians became my friends. My R&R was to Sydney. I truly was "One Lucky Soldier!" It was like a Masters Degree!. E-5.

ROBERT LOUIS POTVIN





No comments:

Post a Comment